Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Change!

What a night and what a Sweep! At 10:01 pm CST, CNN projected Barack Obama as the 44th US President. That was just one minute past the voting in California and the other PST states would have ended. The difference in votes was huge and he was very close to the 270 electoral votes which he needed for a victory, which he did in the next 20 minutes or so. It was monumental, a moment when something as simple as the emotion of joy on the faces of the people speaks for itself as it did last night as hundred thousand people gathered in Grant Park, Chicago awaiting the arrival of the President elect.

I did follow the elections this time but not very closely. If I had to vote, I would have studied the candidates and their campaigns much more in-depth. However that didn't stop me from joining the Obama cult :) He is everything one needs to be to become a role model for millions - he is young, dynamic, an amazing learner, an excellent orator - I think I saw the eyes of almost everyone brimming over with joy as he delivered his victory speech last night with the motto "Yes we can!". He has raised the hopes of milllions of Americans in the power of democracy. He has made the African Americans and many other minorities believe that they too have the right to dream Big and know that its possible to realize that dream. I have no idea what change will happen from now on but for me, for now, Obama being elected president and such overwhelmingly is a huge Change.

I couldn't ever think that I would write a post on Obama's victory but I guess that's what he has done to each and everyone in this country, sit up and applaud the history that he's created! And I am glad that I am witness to it.

5 comments:

Monika said...

I myself was so moved by his acceptance speech. Wished he was my "leader" too.

Swati said...

He sure made history ! Wishing him luck !

Preethi said...

haha... his acceptance speech was so inspiring!! He is a very intelligent guy for sure!

Mama - Mia said...

so true neera!

it has been impossible for anybody to stay untouched by this big change! :)

cheers!

abha

aMus said...

yes...his speech was awesome...incidentally i found Mc. cain's speech very gracious in defeat...